My products have been nominated for a Smithsonian award, and I hold three patents.
Chief Technology Officer, Educate Online; Danvers, MA – 2012-present
Leading Educate Online’s Technology Team.
- As part of a new executive team, our mission is to redefine Educate Online.
- Redefining and solidifying product strategy for Educate Online’s next generation of teaching solutions.
- Building a new Technology Team in Danvers, MA.
Chief Technology Officer, Boston Technologies; Boston, MA – 2010-2012
Lead Boston Technologies’ Product, Development, Architecture, and Quality Assurance teams and is responsible for the strategic direction, maintenance, quality, and delivery of its FX solutions.
- Grew Technology Team from 3 to 29 people.
- Re-architected FX platform into a next generation, SaaS system. Delivery will be in several phases, and deliveries are proceeding according to schedule.
- Redefined Boston Technologies as an Agile company.
Chief Technology Officer, Wimba; Beverly, MA – 2009-2010
Lead Wimba’s Product, Development, Architecture, and Quality Assurance teams and is responsible for the strategic direction, maintenance, quality, and delivery of its collaboration solutions.
- Wimba was acquired by Blackboard, Inc. in August 2010.
- Member of new, six person executive team. Our mission is to scale the business and setup the product for the next generation. In under a year, this team added $21M to the value of the company.
- Built a team in Beverly (10 new people) and fully integrated development with existing team in NYC as well as many remote contributors and off-shore teams.
- Redefined Wimba as an Agile company. This requires a total transformation of all aspects of the business. Already hearing quotes of “Wimba is the best vendor we’ve ever worked with…” due to our efforts bringing customers into our product development process.
- Redefine and solidify product strategy for Wimba’s next generation of collaboration solutions.
- Refocus next generation architecture for SaaS, scalability, ease of maintenance, ease of deploy, and ease of operation.
- Quote from a colleague: “YOU were able to do more in 9 months than what the company did in the prior 3 years. Stick that on your resume.”
Systems Architect, Sermo; Cambridge, MA — 2008-2009
Responsible for overall system architecture of the largest online physician community.
- Drove understanding of Agile development process across all organizations, notably at the executive level and in marketing. Played a key role in turning around the perception (and reality) of Agile at Sermo.
- Led architects in creating and executing architectural plan to begin migration from J2EE to Ruby on Rails.
- Notable deliverables include UI Composition layer (crucial for Sermo’s hybrid architecture), an Enterprise Service Bus, a new Search service, and a lightweight, cross-platform services architecture.
- Delivered Sermo NewsScores, a unique partnership with Bloomberg LLP to deliver Sermo data to the financial community.
Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer, Inquisix; Newton, MA – 2007-2009
Co-founder of up-and-coming sales referral site. Responsible for all aspects of technology vision and software development.
- Presented company vision to venture capital firms and angel investors.
- Built product from scratch using Ruby on Rails and MySQL – currently in production.
- Lead distributed development team.
- Used social application experience to change the way sales tools are built.
- Frequent submitter to Open Source community (ex: Workling plugin updates for efficient background processing in RoR.)
Chief Technology Officer, wis.dm; Cambridge, MA – 2006-2007
Recruited for strategic position reporting to CEO. Responsible for all aspects of overall technology vision and product development for a venture-backed Web 2.0 Social Media company servicing creative and young professionals.
- Member of five person executive management team, responsible for technology vision.
- Recruited and hired outstanding local development team, managed off-shore and on-shore development teams.
- Drove team to first product delivery, on time and budget. Initial product building blocks were Java, Tomcat, Hibernate, Spring, and MySQL.
- Implemented Agile Project Management in Engineering and expanded to include all aspects of the company.
- When business conditions changed, analyzed cost benefits and subsequently migrated entire application to Ruby on Rails and MySQL – always on time and budget.
Vice President of Development, PaperThin; Quincy, MA – 2005-2006
Recruited to turn around product development. Responsible for product development, quality assurance, and customer support for a Content Management System (CMS) provider. Managed all product design and development aspects of the core product. Version 4.6 won KMWorld’s Trend Setting Product award in 2005 and 2006. PaperThin named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 50 Program in 2005.
- Restructured product development and quality assurance teams to be more focused on company goals and strategy.
- Integrated off-shore Quality Assurance team to allow for more iterative development.
- Instituted agile development methodology resulting in higher quality and on-time releases. Defects reduced by 80%.
- Reduced Customer Support response times to hours instead of days or weeks.
- Re-architected PaperThin’s flagship product, CommonSpot Content Server, to be multi-platform and highly scalable. The new architecture and product plan will transform the product to pure Java.
Director, Software Development, NaviNet (formally NaviMedix); Cambridge, MA – 1998-2005
First technical hire, lead architect, and Director of Software Development acting as principle consultant for technical strategy and direction of the company under Vice President of Engineering. In 2001, NaviNet was selected as one of five finalists for the Computerworld Smithsonian Award in recognition for its outstanding use of technology to benefit society.
- Conceptualized, designed, staffed and managed the development of NaviNet, an award-winning, web-based, thin-client application to facilitate over 12 million online healthcare transactions per month (e.g. specialty referrals, eligibility inquiries, electronic claim submission, formulary look ups, etc.).
- Teams under my management delivered 25+ on-time major releases in 6+ years.
- Managed on-site and off-site development teams, while overseeing maintenance of existing software, production operations, design of new features, and next generation architecture.
- Planned and managed largest project in company history to migrate core product to .NET. Project was delivered on time and on budget.
- Proven track record of building and retaining great teams (98% retention rate.)
- Experience combines proven management and organizational skills with outstanding design and development expertise.
Senior Project and Technical Leader, Open Market; Burlington, MA – 1996-1998
Rapidly developed a reputation as a project turn-around specialist and rose quickly to senior project and technical leader roles.
- Senior Project Manager for CommerceOperator, a suite of applications to help online businesses setup and manage online stores.
- Technical lead for Seller Branding and Reporting, a set of utilities to easily brand a shopping cart and report on sales. Successfully turned project around and delivered on time.
- Lead research engineer developing Java Object Framework for Internet Commerce. Demonstrated possibilities of a rich client.
- Principle architect of SecureLink NT team. SecureLink generates secure electronic offers.
Principle Software Engineer, Lotus Development Corporation; Cambridge, MA – 1989-1996
Rapidly rose from developing integrity and virus detection tools in the Release Engineering department to lead roles on several shared infrastructure products. Code developed by my teams included in every Lotus product at the time.
- Technical lead of Sweeper Research Team, responsible for investigating Microsoft’s Internet technologies. Individually responsible for developing technical plan to integrate Microsoft’s Internet technologies into all Lotus desktop products.
- Principle member of Lotus Components Team. Responsible for design and implementation of the Lotus Component Loader, a secure loader of components for Lotus Notes. Holder of two patents for this work.
- Principle member of OLE Framework Team, a C++ class library to ease Microsoft COM/OLE implementation for all Lotus products.
- Lead developer for Common Install Toolkit. Toolkit reduced installation media needs by 70%, development time by 50%.
Software Engineer, Itek Optical Systems; Lexington, MA – 1987-1989
Responsible for all software on $30MM Keck Telescope project, the largest telescope in the world.
M.S., Computer Science
Boston University, Boston, MA
B.S., Computer Engineering
Boston University, Boston, MA
Architecture for Customizable Component System
U.S. Patent 5,978,579, November 2, 1999
Method and Apparatus for Loading Components in a Component System
U.S. Patent 5,970,252, October 19, 1999
System for Dynamic Information Exchange
U.S. Patent 7,325,076, January 29, 2008